Email us!
Call us now! (+44)1212966767

British Citizenship

You already have the right to live and work in the UK permanently (have ‘indefinite leave to remain’ or ‘settled status’ from the EU Settlement Scheme) or if you are an Irish citizen, you can stay in the UK for as long as you want, you don’t have to apply for citizenship if you don’t want to. Many people who made the UK their home wish to apply for British citizenship.

Options available

To apply for naturalisation as a British citizen, two routes are open to adults.

You may apply for citizenship if:

  • You have been lawfully living in the UK for at least the five years before the application and have held indefinite leave to stay or permanent residence for at least the previous 12 months before the application.
  • You are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen and have been granted indefinite leave to remain or permanent residency and lived in the UK for at least the three years before the application.
Other requirements:
  • you must not have broken any immigration laws while in the UK,
  • good character and a sound mind (spouse route) and
  • You intend to continue to live in the UK.
  • Knowledge of English and knowledge of life in the UK
UK Absences

There are specific requirements regarding the continuous periods spent in the UK

Within the five years, you must not have spent more than 450 days outside of the UK and must not have spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the previous 12 months, or

Within the three years, you must not have spent more than 270 days outside the UK and must not have spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the previous 12 months.


Parents can apply on behalf of their child under 18 if they meet the eligibility criteria and they don’t have to pass the Life in the UK Test. Rules for children may differ depending on the status of their parents which is more relevant when applying separately.

EU Citizens

The standard naturalisation rules apply for EU citizens, five years plus 12 months of indefinite leave to remain.

EU/EEA citizens must apply for a document certifying permanent residence before applying for British Citizenship. We can assist you with both.


Registration is another route to citizenship. This is often a more accessible application but, in some cases, it can be difficult to assess your eligibility. It is best to seek advice and assistance from a professional UK immigration adviser.

Our highly-experienced and dedicated immigration adviser helped many foreign nationals settle in the UK. We take the time to help you understand the different options available in your case and your eligibility. Our comprehensive services include drafting representations to support your application and a thorough check of your supporting documents.

  • You get in touch with us by email or via Whatsapp, for a free initial needs assessment with an Immigration adviser.
  • We assess your circumstances and identify your options and whether we can help you. We give you a 100% guaranteed fixed fee.
  • If you accept the quotation, we set up a client file, and we arrange a full consultation and progress your case.
Whatsapp buttonWhatsapp Chat