Email us!
Call us now!(+44) 1212966767

Business Visitor Visas

You may need a Visitor Visa for a UK holiday or a business-related trip to the UK.

A Visitor visa allows you to perform specific business activities in the United Kingdom and to be employed abroad while in the UK for a maximum of six months.

Also, if you want to visit a family member, friend, or partner or spend a holiday in the UK, this is the right visa.

Foreign nationals subject to immigration control can be granted a Visitor Visa to enter the UK for a limited time, usually up to 6 months. For those wishing to travel frequently, a long-term multiple-entry visit visa may be obtained, with a validity of 2, 5, or 10 years.

If you wish to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK, you must apply for a Marriage Visitor visa.

What can I do in the UK when I am on a Standard Visitor Visa?

  • You can come for a holiday, to visit your friends or family
  • If you are registered with a charity, you may volunteer for 30 days
  • You are allowed to transit the UK on the way to another country
  • You can attend a meeting, seminar, training, conference, or interview
  • You are entitled to negotiate a business deal or agreement
  • If you are visiting as a business representative, you can attend trade fairs or interviews, but you are not allowed to sell anything
  • Perform on-site inspections and evaluate the quality of goods and services provided by a UK business to your international entity or company.
  • Suppose your organisation from abroad has a deal with a British business or organisation. In that case, you can visit the UK to put in, take apart, fix, maintain, or give advice on computer hardware, software, and other equipment.
  • You can look for financial support or investment to initiate or purchase a business in the UK.
  • You can provide training or disseminate knowledge to UK employees of the company you work for that is located abroad.
  • Provide one or more accessible, non-commercial lectures or presentations that are not for monetary gain.
  • Visiting the UK as an artist, entertainer, or musician to give a particular performance or show.
  • If you are employed overseas and cannot find the necessary training in your home country.
  • Taking a class in English or a brief program at a recognised school
  • If you are a medicine, veterinary medicine, science, nursing, or dentistry student, you can conduct a quick study related to your overseas course or take an elective.
  • You can attempt to gain admission by taking an entrance exam, for retaking an exam or course module or participating in a PhD viva.
  • You can take a placement or sit an exam for the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or complete the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) for foreign qualified medical professionals.
  • You can sit an exam as a foreign lawyer to become a UK barrister or solicitor.
  • You may come to the UK as an academic, senior doctor or dentist through an exchange agreement to research a sabbatical, to accompany students on a study abroad program, to teach or to do clinical practice.
  • You can visit the UK as a doctor or dentist intending to take an unpaid clinical attachment or observer position.
  • You can visit the UK for private medical treatment at a private or NHS hospital if your government funds it under a healthcare agreement or to donate an organ to a family member or close friend if they are a suitable match.

When Do I need a different type of Visitor visa?

There are some things you will not be able to do in the UK as a visitor unless you have been granted permission before your arrival here.

  • It is not permissible to take a job in the UK while on a visitor visa.
  • You cannot relocate to the UK through regular visits
  • You cannot apply for social benefits
  • You will not be able to get married, register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage/civil partnership. In this situation, you may apply for a Marriage Visa Visitor.

What are the conditions for a UK Visitor Visa (Standard)?

You must bring evidence of the following conditions being met:

  • You genuinely intend to visit the UK for one of the permitted activities, e.g., tourism or visiting family and friends
  • You need evidence of your intention to leave the UK at the end of your stay as a visitor, up to six months.
  • You have the resources to cover all your expenses in the UK and your return journey without assistance from the local authorities.
  • You are not making the UK your home through frequent visits

You should be aware that for some of the permitted activities, such as taking specialist exams or medical treatment, you will need to bring additional evidence to demonstrate compliance with the Visitor Visa conditions.

How do I apply for a Standard Visitor Visa?

Applications for a Visit Visa can be made online. Once you have submitted the online form you will need to make an appointment at the local Visa Applications Centre for your biometrics.

Applying for a Visit Visa can be complicated and often has a high refusal rate. It is essential to choose a reliable Immigration lawyer to help you with your Application. Our lawyers have a successful history of obtaining Business Visitor Visas for our clients and will assist you through each step of your Application.

What documents do I need for a Visitor Visa?

The following is an indicative list of documents required in Visitor Visa applications:

  • Identification documents such as a valid passport
  • Supporting documents regarding your financial situation showing that you can support yourself and your family members during your journey to the UK
  • Supporting documents regarding the purpose of your visit to the UK
  • Documents showing that you will leave the UK at the end of your intended stay in the UK.

Standard Visitor visas issued for longer than six months?

If you plan to visit the United Kingdom frequently, you can apply for a long-term UK Standard Visitor visa. This visa can be issued for 2, 5 or 10 years, although you can only stay for a maximum of 6 months during each visit.

If you don't meet the conditions to be granted the visa you applied for, you may be given a shorter visa than you requested. If this happens, you will not be reimbursed for the application fee.

You should be aware that even if your visa is issued for longer than 6 months, you still need to comply with the visitor visa condition to avoid making your home in the UK through regular visits.

Can I extend my Visitor Visa?

You can apply to remain in the UK beyond the expiration of your Standard Visitor Visa if you can demonstrate compelling and compassionate reasons why you cannot leave the country before it expires.

If you are an academic and need more time to complete your research, you must demonstrate that you still meet all the criteria for academic eligibility.

It is possible to extend your visitor visa in other circumstances, such as retaking a professional linguistic test, for an unpaid clinical attachment or as a dental observer. You must bring documentary evidence regarding the reason why an extension is needed. Your total stay in the UK should be up to 18 months.

Reasons why the UK Visitor Visa may be refused

Frequently, Visitor Visas are refused due to insufficient evidence that the Applicant will return to their home country at the end of their intended travel period in the UK. There are other reasons for a refusal (e.g., lack of a cover letter, missing documents from the sponsor, large deposits in your bank account, failure to disclose immigration history, lack of travel history, unclear itinerary etc.). The Home Office confirms that the refusal rate under the visitor visa category is high (around 20% of all applications).

You should be aware that a refusal of a visitor visa application may impact your Immigration history.

How can we help?

Our lawyer will review your situation and provide the best advice on the type of Visitor Visa suitable for you. They will also draft a Letter of Representation that includes your case details and links it to similar successful cases to improve your chances of being approved. Furthermore, the lawyer will make sure your Application is done correctly and to the highest quality.

Distance is not a problem, we work with you over the phone, Worldwide
  • Step 1 - Get in touch, speak to our expert for a free assessment of your immigration case
  • Step 2 - Book a consultation and get a detailed advice letter out about your options
  • Step 3 - Instruct us to take your case

We are regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) at the highest level - Advocacy and Representation (Level 3)

Best Immigration consultants in Birmingham
Book a Consultation Now
If you need more information about any of our services or wish to speak directly to an adviser about an immigration or nationality matter, please contact us on (+44) 1212966767, on WhatsAPP, or send us your thoughts using the online form below. You can also email us at
WhatsappWhatsapp Chat